Currently Reading: Ratification


I read almost as many non-fiction history books as I do romance novels. Given that the former are usually three times as long, my historical non-fiction to romantic fiction ratio has to be at least 2:1.

Quick confession – I actually listen to most of my books. Without Audible, I’d have to choose between reading and tasks such as cleaning the house, making dinner, or working out.  Cleaning would definitely go to the bottom of the list!

Currently, I’m reading (listening to) Ratification: The People Debate the Constitution by Pauline Maier. This fascinating book focuses on the debates that went on in the states prior to ratification. So far, most of the debates have focused on the need for a Bill of Rights.

I’m only a few chapters in, but the one conclusion I have come to is that the US Constitution is nothing short of a modern miracle – both in structure and the circumstances of its birth.

MJ

Update: I finished Ratification earlier this year, just a few weeks before the author's death. It took me awhile to get through, even though I listened to it on audible, but it was an excellent "read." If you want to really understand what the Founding Fathers thought about our Constitution - both the pros and the cons - I definitely recommend this book. 5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment