My kind of legal thriller

I'm taking a bit of a departure today from the my typical reading choices: classics, romances and history books. I received an advance copy of Deadly Proof through the Bethany's book reviewer program. I almost requested a different book
Amazon link
because legal thrillers aren’t usually my thing. However, I had just finished rereading a Michael Crichton novel for my book club, which I loved, but it left me wanting a little more…better character development especially of female characters, maybe a little romance, and if not some overt faith, at least characters that acted as if they had a moral compass of some sort guiding their decisions.

 Deadly Proof fit the bill. I have a weakness for heroes who have served, especially if they show a little vulnerability, so Landon’s character was perfect. I liked that the author did not give him a stereotypical case of PTSD. Instead, he was wrestling with something that I think even those who haven’t served could understand.

 Kate is a strong female lead with some definite weaknesses. She’s a little emotionally high-strung at times. And, she’s a bit of a workaholic. But, she’s also guided by a strong sense of right and wrong, and she makes you believe that you really can fight on the side of right, even in the tough world of “Big Law.” 

The story should also appeal to those who love legal fiction. It’s clear Dylan has a background in law, but she’s not heavy-handed with the jargon. What technical terms she uses, she manages to explain in a way that doesn’t get in the way of the story or sound forced. On the other hand, if you’re not a fan of the legal details, you can blip over some of details without losing the storyline.  

No comments:

Post a Comment