Review: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
4 stars
Douglas Adams
Genre: Scifi
Subgenres: comedic farce
Amazon Link



I’ve been meaning to pick this one up for years…maybe even decades. Luckily, one of the ladies in my book group/Bible study added it to our list. Mind you, this is the same book club that reads works like Augustine’s Confessions, Paradise Lost, and Martin Luther. I can’t wait to see how we manage to apply a Christian worldview to Hitchhiker’s Guide!

I would call Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy a cultural must read. Perhaps not to the level of Hamlet or the Bible, but somewhere in the top twenty-five at least. This is especially true if you grew up in the 80s when the novel was still somewhat new. The jokes told by the guys in the chess club will make a lot more sense.

Clearly the primary genre for Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is sci fi, but I wasn’t sure how to subclassify it. If you were to ask me, “What’s it like?” I would say suggest a cross between any Simon Pegg move (except Star Trek), add a touch of Monty Python and perhaps a little bit of Galaxy Quest. If you like all those, I’m guessing you’ll love this one. if you don't like any of those, watch them anyway. Cultural classics all.

Quick note – This is probably another one of those situations where the book and the movie don’t mix. As I read, I kept thinking about which scenes I would choose and which ones I would omit from the screenplay. (As well as who I would cast in each role.) The producers of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy didn’t agree with me on much. <Heavy sigh>

No comments:

Post a Comment