Review: A Heart Most Certain


Amazon Link
Genre: Historical romance (Early 1900s United States)
Subgenres: Inspirational/Clean
Heat Level: Sweet

I’m not sure what made me pick this book up. It was probably that it was available on Kindle Unlimited and I was looking for a quick read. As much as I like reading Inspy (inspirational) stories, the series title The Teaville Moral Society might have discouraged me had I thought about it too much. I’m not a huge fan of sugary sweet stories with happily ever afters that come too easily, and I don’t like being beaten over the head with a morality message when all I want to do is curl up with a good book.

A Heart Most Certain was far better than I expected. It wasn’t so sugary sweet, dealing as it does, with the plight of women forced into a life of prostitution. And the “moral society” isn’t necessarily as moral as the name implies. There is plenty of conflict and challenging situations to deal with.

Still, the book definitely belongs in the Inspy/Clean Reads category. The moral message is unmistakable, even if it is directed more at those who probably don’t think they need to hear it. While the subject matter can get a bit gritty, it is handled in a delicate way. I wouldn’t think twice of lending this book to my teenage daughter. In fact, for those who are home schooling their children or simply hoping to teach morality lessons in an engaging way, I would encourage it. (Though, I have my doubts the boys would enjoy it much!)

No comments:

Post a Comment