Review: Burk's Surrender

Burk's Surrender is a little outside of my normal genre in that it is not a historical. However, as many of you know, I have been expanding the number of clean romances on my bookshelves as I try to keep my current hero and heroine on the straight and narrow. It was fun to read a contemporary for the first time in years. Here's the review I posted on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and just about everywhere else I could think of!

A light, sweet inspirational

I received a review copy of Burk's Surrender last summer, and promptly forgot
Amazon link
about it until, to my delight, I found it again while cleaning out my emails. Perhaps by God's design, the timing was perfect!

This is the first novel I've read from Ms. Hiers, but I can tell she is not new to the craft. Her writing is smooth, the characters are believable (and charming), and the dialogue is engaging. This is a Christian romance, but there is plenty of chemistry between the two characters, including a mutual physical attraction, which I think the author handles quite well. She does a great job of reminding us what it's like to be in love with your "best friend" — a feeling I would wish for everyone!

The conflict between the two characters is more emotional and based on some baggage that these thirty-somethings carry around with them. And, really, by that age, who doesn't feel the weight of emotional baggage? However, that's why I would call this a "light" inspirational. I never had the feeling of "Oh no! How can these characters overcome the insurmountable odds stacked up against them?!"

For those days when you feel the odds stacked up against you and you have had just a little too much conflict in your real life, Burk's Surrender might be just what you're looking for. In my opinion, it's the perfect read for an after-work bubble bath! Although it is a novel-length piece, so you might want to separate it out into at least a couple of baths. Wouldn't want anyone to get all pruney!



1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet review!! I'm so glad you enjoyed Burk's Surrender, Mary Jean. Mega thanks for stepping outside of your reading comfort zone. <3

    ReplyDelete