The Easy Way to Write More Book Reviews


If you’re an author like me, you probably often think, “You know, I really should write more book reviews.” It’s kind of a karma thing. If you’re a reader (again like me), you’d probably love to write more reviews so you can encourage the authors you like most.

But writing reviews can be hard. Even if you just want to write a short paragraph, you may not get to it right away, and even the best books can fade from memory as whatever book your currently reading takes over.
 
Here’s a trick I learned that has really helped me. (Although, I still don’t write as many reviews as I should!)

Take Notes!
While you’re reading, add notes to the book about things you might mention in your reviews. I do my reading on my iPad, usually in the Kindle app. All I have to do is highlight a passage, then click on it again to bring up a pop-up menu. It also brings up Wikipedia, Translate, and Dictionary functions, but don’t let yourself get distracted. The icon you want is the one that looks like a paper and pencil in the strip above that.

If you do that as you read, you’ll have all sorts of notes when it comes time to write a review, but don’t make it harder than it has to be. Authors are happy with one paragraph or even one sentence reviews. Remember, Amazon’s magical fifty review threshold (that determines which books get promoted) doesn’t care how long your review is.

You could take this same approach with physical books, but that either requires carrying a notebook and pen around while you read or writing in the margins. If it’s a library book or one you borrowed, obviously the latter isn’t an option. Plus, not only do I have writing in my books, I can never seem to decipher my handwriting later!

Goodreads Can Make You Even More Efficient!
I just discovered a way to use Goodreads to make the process even more efficient. You need to have automatically linked your Amazon account to your Goodreads account. If you aren't getting a pop-up message asking you if you want to do that, here's a link you can use - https://www.goodreads.com/amazon. 

If that's still not working for you, add a note below and I'll see what I can do to help you figure it out. As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a technophile.

Once you have your accounts linked, go to the books you are currently reading. These should be showing on the left-hand side of your home screen. (I can’t be the only one who has four or five going at a time!) Just below the author’s name, you should see clickable text that says “X notes & X highlights.”



Clicking on that brings you to a page that lists all your notes and highlights. Below is a screenshot from my reading of Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxas. These happen to only be highlights, but if I had taken a note in the early portion of the book, it would show up here.  

Note that you can also choose to make your notes and highlights visible and add comments to them. This seems to me to be a great way to promote your favorite authors and perhaps start some interesting dialogue with other readers. (I wonder if others can add comments to my visible highlights.  If anyone is up for testing that, I’d love to know!)



Have a Favorite Tip?
Do you like to write book reviews either professionally or just for fun? I’d love to hear more tips for getting more reviews done in less time. I’m shooting for twenty-five book reviews this year, so any suggestions you can provide would be welcome!





No comments:

Post a Comment