Review: Marrying Winterborne


Marrying Winterborne4 stars
Lisa Kleypas
Genre: Romance
Subgenre: historical, Victorian

Amazon Link
I know Lisa Kleypas is a much beloved author, but for some reason, I had never picked up one of her
novels. It might be because the Victorian time period doesn’t fascinate me the way it does so many other readers. Nevertheless, I decided to give her a try.

Marrying Winterborne a good novel. The characters are likable as is the story line. There were times when things seemed a bit contrived, and perhaps a little out of character. For example, Helen is a bit more sexually open than I would have expected from someone with her naturally shy demeanor.

Speaking of which, this book is not for the reader who is looking for a clean read or even a novel with one or two love scenes before the happy climax. (pun intended J )  I’m OK with the love scenes, but I found myself skimming them when they didn't advance the plot in some significant way.

I did not read Cold Hearted Rake, the first book in the series, before this one as was suggested by many of the other reviewers. I wish I had. Apparently, Rhys and Helen first get engaged in that book. I’m sure that would have added to my enjoyment of their relationship struggles in Marrying Winterborne. But that’s not the only reason I wish I had picked up Cold Hearted Rake first.


In Marrying Winterborne, Kathleen, the heroine of Cold Hearted Rake comes across as completely unlikable – a meddling biddy really. I have no desire to go back now. I feel bad for feeling that way as I probably would have loved her if I had read her story first. My issues with Kathleen aside, there were plenty of other likable secondary characters with stories of their own. I have since read Pandora’s story in the Devil in Spring and it is quite good.

 
So my bottom line is this: great story and well written, but not perfect. If you like entertaining reads, can avoid thinking about plot twists too deeply, and don’t mind love scenes – a lot of them – then I think you’ll really enjoy Marrying Winterborne.

No comments:

Post a Comment